Thursday, February 18, 2010

Looking for inspiration

After a few meltdown moments (well I have been doing this motherhood thing pretty constantly night and day for over a year now... pause for gasps and applause ;-) C has been putting in overtime at home to give me a few extra breaks. Strangely, I've found myself scratching my head with what to do with them as I have now morphed so solidly into mothermode I have forgotten what else I do!

I decided to give this sustainability urge a bit more attention and combined my favorite relaxes in one - book shopping, coffee drinking and reading. I hunted down the book The Mud House by Richard Glover. It's his memoir of the dream holiday house he and his mate built with almost no money and no skills... just the thing to inspire C and me.

Great, fun book. But as for mud brick house building, that dream will have to stay in the pipe line a while longer as we don't just have almost no money, we have no money (could it be all the book buying and coffee drinking?!).

Another way to look at that though, is more time for skill developing, plotting and planning. So, still on the quest for inspiration, I did a bit of a google (much cheaper than books and coffee; I am more sustainable already!). Here are a few great blogs I came across which have really got me thinking...
www.greenrenters.org : lots of great creative ideas for green living
http://myyearwithoutspending.blogspot.com : introduced me to "The Compact"
http://sfcompact.blog "The Compact" site.

Hmmm..committing to a year without buying anything new! Awesome idea... for now I am contemplating... could I do it? just what would it mean giving up?

No comments:

Post a Comment